The time I have been dreading has been instantaneously drawing nearer as each week passes by. Summer.
When I hear the word summer, I always think of the Grease song Summer nights. It is truly a classic. It seriously makes me wish that my summers always happened the way Sandra and Danny's did. Those su-ummer ni-iighhhtts.
It never is quite long enough, unless you live in a warm climate and not a climate with bipolar disorder such as, ahem: here - Canada. It's only a matter of time before winter graces us with its presence and we will once again be wishing for the hot summer heat instead of the cold winter air.
Time. It moves at such an incessantly fast pace that it is difficult to even grasp and hold on to a single moment before it passes by. It's only a matter of time before the moment has passed and you're left with only the beautiful memories (or at least, I hope).
In all honesty, I probably should have should have done more this summer besides basically being a workaholic. I could have gone to the beach at least once, went to an amusement park, fair, even the zoo. Any of those would have sufficed really. Mind you, all is not lost. I wound up forming great, (interesting) but great relationships with many of the people I work with. The best part was spending a great deal of my time off with my best friend. I think her and I wound up spending more time together this summer than we have in the last 12 months. So, I suppose I have accomplished SOMETHING.
Speaking of accomplishments, when you're working your ass off for an object of desire (in my case it's Australia), especially during the summer months I think that rewards are important if you ever want to make it out alive. Summer is a great time to create memories. It is also a great time to snatch up over time shifts, and supply work. Reward yourself. Enjoy your time away from work. Just remember to reward yourself at your own discretion. You want to be a beach bum, that's cool. You gotta work, but always make an effort to create YOU time.
Being a workaholic is a tough persona to crack. Summer's ending. But more will come. Plan time wisely and you won't recognize the speed, just the moments.

I loved this post. Your summer sounds a lot like mine- buried in work while striving towards a goal and over much too soon. But also like you I have spent so much time with my best friend. We have spent night after night talking on my driveway. Those memories are my favorite parts of summer. Even if you have work in the morning, summer nights always seem endless. :)
ReplyDeleteEm
Tightrope to the Sun
Hey, in this "grown-up" life summers really are very much about work. But if I have learned one thing, there is always time to get away, even if it's in your own backyard. Summers seems endless, then winter comes. :P
Delete