Thursday, September 26, 2013

Call Me Old Fashioned


Few of you know that this blog started as inspiration from a break up I had a bit less than a year ago. It was probably the hardest break up I have dealt with, and took the longest to recover from. Since then you guys have seen many of my dating trials, errors and life turbulence. Attention passengers, life is hitting a bit of turbulence, please fasten your seatbelts. Well life, my seatbelt is fastened, any chance I can unbuckle soon, or is there going to be a plane crash you aren't telling me about? 

Through being single in this said "turbulence" whilst spinning the dating wheel, I have realized what I want in a person, even if it seems super cliché. I guess you can say my hopeless romanticism will be the death of me, if the life plane doesn't crash and take all souls first.

I think it's the fact that I have nearly had my heart broken (or have things just not work out) so many times that it has come natural to me to build up a list of Must Haves and Deal Breakers. Personally, I see it as a growing experience. A time for me to seriously search for something someone more carefully than carelessly. Lately, my search has turned into an unplanned male species hiatus. It's quite unfortunate really. I say this with the most care and caution, "Where've all the good guys gone?"


I want my hand to be held. Like a good solid hand holding. Not a bullshit half hand hold. Full on hand hold. Two hands merged into one. Super cheesy, I know. 

Whatever happened to real date nights? You can only go to Boston Pizza and see a movie so many times before it becomes boring, and redundant. I want to dress fancy, or at least avoid the usual jeans and a tshirt and go somewhere new, even if it's oriental. It's no Boston Pizza. And let me tell you, anything will do.

Being called for no reason doesn't happen much any more. Why? I'd rather hear his voice when he isn't around than read his texts all the time. That's the only way you get real emotion out of words. But reading cute messages is okay most of the time.

I think it would be safe to say that a guy should care about his girl above all else. It's cool that he cares a lot  about his friends. But if you want to have a REAL  girlfriend you should try treating her as such instead of just one of your drinking buddies. The only good thing that came of that, I learned to keep up with a 6 foot tall 26 year old who has a few years of drinking on me. Can't say it's my proudest moment, but I can for sure handle my alcohol.

I know there's plenty of good guys out there. They're already taken or gay. That's the way it seems anyhow. I also know though that I have been blessed with so many good guy friends in my life time. The kind of guys who girls would be crazy not to date, but who I could never see myself with. I have made the mistake of dating a friend, and look where that ended up! A friendship lost to the sinking relationship. Even after a year and dates in between, I am still mourning it deep down.


Bitterness aside:

Call me old fashioned but I want a guy who:

Opens the door for me
Takes me out: to nice places, fun places, fancy places
Gives me his sweater even if it means he's cold
Can cook, even if it's just one good meal
Will take care of me while I am sick
Watch bad movies with me
Kisses romantically

Is a world class cuddler
Can make me laugh, even when I don't want to
Knows me better than I know myself
Takes me on surprise dates just to twist things up
Goes for long walks with me
Will kiss me in the rain, or at least hold the umbrella
Brags, to everyone about me
Takes me home to meet his mother


Most importantly, no matter how long I have to wait (even if it isn't until I get to Australia) I want someone who truly and deeply cares. Someday, somehow, (soon hopefully) it'll happen.

 Until then, I have my bed.
post signature

8 comments:

  1. I know I've been terrible at commenting on your (and everyone else's) posts the past several months, but hey! I'm back! haha.

    Anyway, just wanted to say that I think you are brave and to be commended for keeping your standards high. Some of them may be cheesy, but who cares? Way too many girls out there would just keep settling for the "meh" relationships and it's so awesome that you are choosing to grow from them instead. Your totally going to find "that guy" someday, just you wait! (I'm waiting too... where *are* they all?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful comment Lacey! Bravery and courage are two of few traits you need to get anywhere in life, and in order to have anyone, you have to have some standards or the relationship is doomed to fail.

      Delete
  2. I think it's great to know what you want and what you don't. It will help you weed out the wrong guys!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I've had my heart stomped on so many times the past two years while I've been dating around. It's been tough! But a learning experience. I think these lists we make are wonderful... They remind us to NEVER settle for someone who doesn't treat us how we deserve. The right guy is out there and he will be more amazing than anyone else. But you can't be with him if you settle for the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying about settling. I have considered it so many times. It's not part of my values and if I ever do, I am not being true to myself or my values!

      Delete
  4. Blake basically said exactly what I would say! Being alone is better than being with the wrong person. And I was that one lonely person (with all the dating/engaged/married friends) for years before I finally got a real boyfriend, who is now my husband. So I am not just trying to say this because it sounds nice. I have been there! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors, but I love reading comments more. Please comment, I always read em. Thanks for stopping in!