Ugh. Monday. Usually I enjoy a good old fashioned Monday. But I never enjoy Mondays when I am coming off a weekend of night shifts. Not because it is just Monday but because I only have about 30 hours or so before I am back to work on days, *sad face*. Well I suppose there is no rest for the wicked, especially when the only good thing shift work does for a "writer" like me, is that it provides a ton of inspiration for blog posts. So much inspiration in fact that I have found numerous of my ideas on gentle cycle with like-colours.
While most of my plans for blog posts wind up crumpled, smudged and clean with that name brand washing detergent, one has made it out of the factory alive, unscathed and sitting on my dresser. It sat on my dresser for about as long as it took me to recover from my zombie-like trance that night shifts seem to dawn upon me. Speaking of zombie-like trances, I have realized that abilities become significantly degenerative as the night goes on. Some of you guys may have experienced the same in every day life, especially when you are lacking 8+ hours of sleep, and suffering from caffeine withdrawal.
You forget how to eat. Some way, some how you begin to resemble a toddler. Food winds up everywhere. Even in places you didn't think food could go. Chest food anyone? Can it get any more attractive than that? Hey boys!
Drool. Yep, it pours out of your mouth like an infant child. *face palm*. Where did my sense of being grown-up go? Let alone being lady-like at all?
You forget how to talk. How does someone forget how to talk? Words get jumbled. You take longer to think about what you're going to say. Before you know it, you are spitting up alphabet soup.
Forgetfulness. 25% of the time you forget what you were going to do, 25% of the time you forget what you were going say. The other 50% of the time you space out. This makes you look like a bit of a buffoon. Prepare accordingly, if you ever remember.
Time is non-existent. Even when you're on or off a night shift, occasionally you forget what day it is or whether it's morning or night. It's freakishly confusing.
Caffeine. Need I say more?
You're tired. You yawn about as much as you breathe. Perhaps more. (but you're not tired.)
Better music. Have you ever listened to the radio at 3 o'clock in the morning? You should try it sometime. The music is significantly better than anything that plays at 3 in the afternoon.
Sunrises. They're beautiful but you have seen them more than any regular person should. It's sad when you get bored of watching them. It could just be the rubber fumes. Or the very unromantic venue.
Last but not least, Questionable thoughts. You think about strange, odd, un-normal things. Thoughts that make you question your own sanity.
The only other thing that makes me question my own sanity is I am still working this shift work. More night shifts. More day shifts. I guess the only great thing is more money and more post ideas. :)



Oh my. Yes. Caffeine and myself are having quite the love affair these few weeks. My shifts have gotten so long and I barely have time to breathe. But caffeine never lets me down.
ReplyDeleteParts of me loves to think at night and other parts of me finds that the worst time for thinking. I always feel more creative and inspired at night but that's also the time when my brain is all "Hey remember that dumb thing you did? Let's think about that for the rest of the night and dwell on your misery." But I'll always be a night owl! Glad I'm in good company :)
Em
Tightrope to the Sun
I am never ever a fan of Mondays!
ReplyDeletethe-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com