How many times have you heard, "Your college years will be the best years of your life?" I, for one have heard it enough times to look into it. I have studied long and hard and as I am in my final 2 months of college, I can happily say that YES, the college years are some of the best years of your life....to a point.
The point at which those best years of your life end, is the point where assignments appear to be endless. And near the end, they seem to have little meaning in the prospects of your future career.
I will vouch for the fact that you'll host and attend lots of parties, blow your hard earned cash on James Ready, Budweiser, Keystone, Canadian, and Coors Light to name a few, date some jerks, make great friends, gossip, do silly things and have a good time. However, sometime in between the "hot dates", long evenings of gossiping, pizza mow downs and relentless parties, the fun ends and college becomes a buzz kill.
I am currently at that point. I have had many fun moments, I have slacked off, procrastinated (like every true college kid does) which sometimes resulted in all nighters, and found myself "dating" 4 guys in 2 years but as the end draws near, while I still care about having a social life, I am more enthusiastic about graduating - mostly due to the assignments that have been dropped on us.
With two assignments due back to back this coming Monday and Tuesday with a mid-term Monday to top it all off, I should be working my ass off to complete two papers with studying in between. Instead, I am whining ranting about writing this blog post about my lack of interest. At this point, anything is more exciting than two papers and a test.
I have probably put more thought into warning you all about the college years than I have put in to working on those papers. First of all, it is boring and time consuming planning out a parent conference about a child you show concerns about. And I HATE that we are supposed to reference pretty much every single last thing we write. Doesn't leave much room for thought process does it?
On the other hand, I am looking forward to writing "Why ELC?" (For most of you who don't know, it's "Why Early Learning and Care?") mostly because it is almost literally our entire autobiography - as in, the earliest time we decided that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives with children.
I think though, I would rather be doing 3 assignments than have a test in between 2 papers. Especially when it's a test where we are regurgitating information. I hate those sort of tests. I mean, I understand that in the Wellness course we are learning that it is important to be emotionally and physically fit to be involved with chidlren. However, I think it is completely useless to have to regurgitate things about nutrition like the importance of vitamins, measuring proteins, or the dimensions of the psyche. I mean, seriously? Chewing tinfoil seems to be more nutritious to my mind than having to write an entire test that consists of about 16 short answer questions. Where are the days that we had multiple choice, true or false, fill in the blanks, matching, and then short answer? Oh yeah, IN EVERY OTHER FREAKING CLASS!
As the money well seems to be running dry, assignments are apparently the most exciting going ons in my life at the moment. One thing I have learned through all of this is that even though the parties are great, the friends are fabulous and you'll have plenty of embarrassing or fist-bump-worthy stories to tell your kids in about 15 years: Sure the college years are some of the best years of your life but realistically when it comes down to it, COLLEGE HATES YOU

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love visitors, but I love reading comments more. Please comment, I always read em. Thanks for stopping in!