One day as all young people do hope for is to fall in love. I haven't yet experienced that. I have had a rollercoaster year however of great relationships.
I have been infatuated with 3 people, each one more than the last. I have come to really appreciate life, this year more than any other year that has passed. I suppose it's become a part of growing up.
For a long time, I believed I was incapable of falling in love. It was mainly due to the glass half empty attitude toward relationships.
In high school especially, nearly everyone I knew was in a relationship. I couldn't see what was so great about having one. I heard a lot of good things, you know cuddling, kissing and dates.
However, the ranting that I got from people far outweighed the advantages of dating. I'm not saying I was against dating someone back then, I was never given the opportunity.
I was more outgoing than most, I didn't care what people thought and sometimes I think it was the crazy side of me that people feared. And so established my belief that I was incapable of dating. Then I grew up.
Growing up is an interesting phenomena. You learn more about yourself than you could have ever expected to.
Relationships teach you a lot. They teach you to not take advantage of emotions, to not be overly emotional and most importantly they teach you that heart break is one of the most important things to experience, even if it's not love and even if your heart just cracks, you feel it just the same. You feel empty, like a piece of you is missing.
When we grow up though, we learn to trust ourselves with every person we date and every person we meet. We trust in the notion that we are making a good decision with a good person.
Everyone deserves to be happy. I am fortunate enough to be blessed with happiness.
Even more fortunate to have dated most recently a gentleman. A man who respected every belief I had, he made no judgements and he liked me for me.
They say chivalry is dead. Chivalry exists in those who were truly raised in the arms of a queen. His parents raised him right.
Too often we are left with the belief that we don't receive the respect we give. In many ways it is true.
There are so many relationships that end due to a variety of reasons, tender topics if you will. Then we meet the one person who knows respect. Who knows that if they respect you, if they give you what they have and share with you their talents and skills, you would do the same for them.
The person who knows within their heart they are making good decisions even if it tears at your soul. That person teaches you more things about family, about friends, about life than you would have dreamed. And you will cherish each moment with them.
But you will also know that they didn't see as far into the future as you did. They will hurt you. But they will hurt you with more respect than words could say. They will do it to protect you from getting truly heart broken.
They'll never explain fully why. But you'll know that it wouldn't have worked in the long run. You'll respect that. That person though will become one of the most important people in your life because they were one of the best teachers you could have had.
It reminds me of this quote:
Throughout life you will meet one person who is like no other. You could talk to this person for hours and never get bored, you could tell this person things and they will never judge you. This person is your soulmate... your best friend... never let them go...
I feel like he is that person. We dated, it didn't work. I've gained strength and believe in myself more than ever. He is one of the best friends a person could have, I hope for many of you that you at least experience that. Having a friend who you can talk to about anything, and who cares about you enough to let you go but will never let you down. Please remember that someone loves you, even if its not the way you imagined it would be.
Love comes at different times for every body. Some will experience it young, some will grow old with it. Some will fall in love with their children, others will fall in love with the first person they meet. I know that now. I know I will find love one day. Always have hope. If you can, never let go of the teachers in your life. They will be the most important people to you.
I'm a glass half full kind of gal. I am capable of dating. I am capable of believing in myself and in love one day. Relationships are great. You get to cuddle, you get to kiss, you get hug, you get to go on dates. You have someone who believes in you as much as your parents or your best friends. You become part of a world you never dreamed. I enjoy relationships. But I am content with being single. I've grown up. Growing up isn't always easy, you'll go through heart breaks but you'll survive from love etc.
If you have a moment, take the time to view the trailer for Love. etc. It inspired me to compose this post
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love visitors, but I love reading comments more. Please comment, I always read em. Thanks for stopping in!