Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Quiet Please

So here I sit in the library of my college surrounded by nothing but books, chairs and the scent of knowledge pouring from the brains of my peers as a result of last minute cramming before exams. I can't help but to feel somewhat guilty for browsing such sites as Facebook, I waste so much time, Youtube and Blogger while everyone around me is about to crumble from the pressure. 

About 30 feet ahead, sit two tables of pretty girls in pink shirts obstructing my peripheral vision with their neon brightness. Smiling nervous, anxious smiles as they sit side by side comparing notes. Oddly, I sit here on one of 3 of the most comfortable seats in the library, undeserving while everyone else keels over in pain from sitting in pressurized plastic chairs studying their asses off. I could only imagine the state their backs will be in when they turn in for the night; tense, twisted and not even a good stretch could cure it. 

My brain begins to throb as Rae, sitting only but 2 feet from me starts shooting words with 4 or more syllables that are incomprehensible to a simple mind such a mine. Words such as Manganese and Magnesium, with the only difference I know of being Manganese is a more reactive chemical than Magnesium - thank you non-optional grade 10 chem class for teaching me that I won't give a crap about chemicals when I'm in college. The multiple syllable words soon morph into phrases that I completely tune out, only recognizing the last word, faeces. 

While my neurons work hard to process everything Rachel just shot toward me, there are Quiet Please signs - from where I'm sitting I can see 14, the library is anything but quiet. Behind me in the distance I hear hysterical laughter over the snickering of possible business, accounting, or nursing students as they prepare for a future of writing, papers and memorizing entire dictionaries. To my left, some people should be studying the dictionary as I hear well learned college students trying to spell the word SWAYED. "Sweyed?" "Swa...swa..." "How do you spell swayed?" As they flip their voluptuous locks and are completely oblivious to the caked on masks that hide their seemingly beautiful complexions.   

As time begins to wear thin, I look around and see the distorted faces of my peers. Fingers cramped, backs cracking, a war of hunger rampaging within. Several young men and women that look like they just crawled out of bed who appear seemingly ready for the week to end.  I still sit here undeserving of this seat, observing as a so-called "Quiet space" ensues with unheeded laughter, pointless conversations and talks of driving to Little Caesars to finally beat the study heat and the rampaging war within.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love visitors, but I love reading comments more. Please comment, I always read em. Thanks for stopping in!