Thursday, December 6, 2012

Underrated Teachers

As we draw near to the end of Semester numero trois, I've learned a couple things. College is hard and it's one hell of a horse race to get finished. I mean this for each and every single program. 

Here is the thing, I am an ECE, perhaps one of the most under appreciated fields to get into. I'm an underrated teacher in a program that so many people assume is an easy program. 

Now before you agree with this statement, and the fact that all we do is "play all day." as I have heard a number of times, consider what your program consists of. I would say tests, presentations, lectures, and exams; please correct me if I am wrong. Repeat that, tests, presentations, lectures and exams. Right there you have a mind warp. Let me warp your mind. 


Taking into consideration all the hard work you do to get your degree or diploma, I will not bash you in any way shape or form, I want you to consider what my program consists of:


Emergent Curriculum, Emergent Curriculum, Emergent Curriculum, need I say more? For teachers and educators alike, get off your high horse if you are all about theme based. GROSS, I hate that term more than ever. THEME BASED, it sends shivers down my spine. 

Throw your themes in the trash, Emergent Curriculum is all about sitting, observing, talking, implementing, documenting...based on the children's ideas, not yours, not the weather, not the seasons, not the holidays and certainly not colouring books, not in a daycare or school program. Interesting eh? Creating a curriculum based on the ideas of children, it's not that hard...start thinking about that why don't you. 
Emergent Curriculum: What happens from children's emerging ideas!

Assignments, the forever dreaded assignments. We have more than many other programs, why? Because when we get out in the field, we will still be writing reports about children, about the environment, we'll be creating checklists, documentation boards and conducting observation upon observation our entire careers! 

Unless you know or are familiar with the following names: Spock (and I don't mean Captain Spock, from the starship enterprise...Star Trek), Vygotsky, Piaget, Montessori, Malaguzzi, Freud, Erikson or Jung, GET OUT!  Your opinion is invalid. 

Development, developmental domains, developmentally appropriate practice. Guaranteed, you couldn't possibly name all 5 developmental domains and why they are important. 

THEORY, lots of theory - developmental psychologists, philosophers, inclusive education, EMERGENT CURRICULUM - I can not stress that enough


There is so much more unmentioned, in depth information that can and will destroy your soul. So before you call us underrated, and underestimate the power of our abilities remember what I listed above. We know more than you think....



and we do also play all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love visitors, but I love reading comments more. Please comment, I always read em. Thanks for stopping in!